Yesterday people from all around the country became involved by speaking out against the foul mouthed, offensive, prescription drug addict, Rush Limbaugh. It’s hard to believe that this vile excuse for a human being is the voice of the highest rated talk show in the country No wonder the country has so many challenges when the “voice” that is most often heard in America is a man who dropped out of college, abused prescription drugs, has been married four times, has no children, gets paid over $30,000,000 per year to spew his hatred, and has an estimated net worth over $400,000,000.00. People expressed their abhorrence of the comments of Mr. Rush Limbaugh regarding the testimony before Congress of Ms. Sandra Fluke, a 3rd year law student at Georgetown University.
Here is an account of the long list of quotes of Limbaugh regarding Ms. Fluke:
• “What does it say about the college coed Susan Fluke … who goes before a congressional committee and essentially says that she must be paid to have sex? What does that make her? It makes her a slut, right? It makes her a prostitute. She wants to be paid to have sex.”
• “She’s having so much sex, it’s amazing she can still walk”
• “Ms. Fluke, have you ever heard of not having sex?”
• “So Ms. Fluke, and the rest of you Feminazis, here’s the deal. If we are going to pay for your contraceptives, and thus pay for you to have sex, we want something for it. We want you post the videos online so we can all watch.”
• “I will happily buy Sandra Fluke all the aspirin she wants. … I will buy all of the women at Georgetown University as much aspirin to put between their knees as they want.”
• In response to a caller’s claim that for $5 his girlfriend can get a month’s worth of birth control at Wal-Mart: “That makes PMS almost worth it.”
• “She wanted to go there [Georgetown law] to stir it up. She was an anti-Catholic plant from the get-go on this”
• “This is flat-out thievery. It’s outright ridiculous that tax payers should pay for the personal sexual desires and habits of everybody, including women at Georgetown Law.”
• In a baby voice, mocking a cry: “I’m going broke having sex, I need the government to provide me condoms and contraceptives. It’s not fair.”
• “Who bought your condoms in junior high? Who bought your condoms in the sixth grade? Or your contraception? Who bought your contraceptive pills in high school?”
• “[She is] a woman who is happily presenting herself as an immoral, baseless, no-purpose-to-her life woman. She wants all the sex in the world whenever she wants it, all the time, no consequences. No responsibility for her behavior.”
• “It’s just a new welfare program. And ‘welfare’ is a bad word, and they can’t use it. They can’t sell it. So now it’s disguised—welfare disguised as women’s health. Or women’s reproductive rights.”
• “Can you imagine if you’re her parents, how proud of Sandra Fluke you would be? Your daughter goes up to a congressional hearing conducted by the Botox-filled Nancy Pelosi and testifies she’s having so much sex she can’t afford her own birth control pills and she agrees that Obama should provide them.”
Limbaugh is not only misogynistic, he is a bigot. He is the epitome of a male-chauvinist-pig. He is hateful in his remarks against homosexuals. Consider this example of a song he played on his show calling Barney Frank the “Banking Queen.”
He defended the song “Barack the Magic Negro” which could not be more disrespectful to the President of the United States!
The list goes on and on. Yesterday, America said “No More.” Even John Boehner agreed that the remarks of Limbaugh were inappropriate.
We have all heard comments like this before. What make the comments of Limbaugh so offensive is that they were broadcast on national radio by a man being paid millions of dollars to spew this draconian tirade. The comments of Limbaugh were an attack on a person testifying before Congress. The attack mis-characterized the testimony of Ms. Fluke, as she never mentioned her own sexuality, her own need for birth control, or any financial challenges she might face.
The story she did share was of the critical medical need for some women to be able to get medical coverage for birth control pills for medical conditions that are treated by birth control pills, but have nothing to do with pregnancy (i.e. polycystic ovarian tumors).
Through our efforts, and those of thousands of others, both men and women, several advertisers on the Rush Limbaugh show have withdrawn their ads. As of this morning, it appears that the following advertisers have pulled their ads:
3. Sleep Train
4. Legal Zoom
However there is more work to do. While some companies have issued statements that Limbaugh’s remarks do not reflect their view, they have not pulled their ads. Please consider calling these companies to make your feelings known, and refrain from using their products as long as they continue to advertise on the Limbaugh show. Their financial support provided through advertising on Limbaugh’s show allows him to continue to publicize his hateful, un-American views. The companies that appear to still be advertising are:
2. Carbonite: You may be interested in e-mailing a manager at their corporate office to share your views at : firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Oreck: You can reach them at 1-800-289-5888.
Citrix Online: You can reach them at 805-690-6400.(Updated information as of 4:42 from Cindy: Citrix has decided to pull any ads from the Rush Limbaugh show! Thank you Cindy!)
5. American Forces Network: I contacted various numbers and got a message at each. The number that I would recommend you call is 301-222-6236 which is the number for T.V. and radio show contacts. You can also reach them by e-mail at American Forces Network@MyAFN.net.
6. Mission Pharmacal Company: They don’t have a customer service department that is open on Fridays. When you go to their web site, it is so busy, that you can’t get the site to load on your computer. Mission Pharmacal Company is the maker of Citrical, a calcium supplement primarily used by women to prevent Osteoporosis. Of all companies to be effected by women outraged by these incendiary comments, Citrical should be paying attention. Bennett Kennedy is the Citracal Product Manager and you can reach him at 800-531-3333 by going to the company directory and putting in “ken”. (For further contact information for all of these companies go to yesterday’s post)
We live in a time when Americans can quickly rally the voice of the people when necessary. News becomes instantly known. Comments of Rush Limbaugh are quickly made known to those of us who couldn’t stomach listening to his show on a daily basis. Through Twitter, facebook, and blogs, people are speaking out for what is right, and objecting to something so wrong as the ranting of a public figure like Rush Limbaugh. We have the power through our voices to make people aware of our inability and unwillingness to tolerate this abuse any longer. Let us join in one resounding chorus and say “Never again!”