Yesterday was my book signing event in San Francisco. Events like this one give me a chance to talk to a variety of people who have a wide range of knowledge of the Half-Term Ex-Governor. Obviously most of the people who come to one of these events are not supporters of Sarah Palin. However I continue to be amazed at the limited knowledge most people have of the multitude of outrageous things Beautiful Sarah has done. One young woman I spoke with asked me why she should care about Sarah Palin. She indicated that she votes, but doesn’t watch the news or read newspapers, because she doesn’t believe anything she reads or hears from media. While this woman was firm in her dislike of Grandma Palin, she knew nothing about the multitude of stupid things Palin has done since the election of 2008. Her attitude was that she had better things to do than spend time on Sarah Palin.
This event came on the heels of a dinner party I attended two days ago. I find that when I attend such an event I have to limit what I say about Sarah Palin. Of course I could talk for hours about Sarah Palin, but most people don’t want to hear about her. Most people I meet are disgusted by politics. Few people like Palin, but don’t share by attitude of total disgust and disbelief that Palin could even be considered for the highest office in the United States. Most people seem to miss the point. Their perception is that I am just a “liberal” and thus it is easy to understand why I object to Sarah Palin, since she is so conservative.
A reporter came to the book signing event and interviewed me. She asked a revealing question that was not apparent from the articles she had read on this blog. I realized that I have written for a year about outrageous behavior of Palin, but I have not have fully addressed my personal outrage. Thus today is my day to share with you my personal reasons for writing and doing all that I can to educate people about the “real” Sarah.
Power, greed, and dishonesty are not characteristics unique to Sarah Palin. Many politicians, both conservative and liberal, might be described with these same adjectives. I might object to the moral values of Bill Clinton and John Edwards, even if I agree with their political ideologies. I don’t feel compelled to write about them every day, or devote two books to highlighting their outrageous behavior and the disrespect they showed to their wives. Sharon Angle is so radically extreme in her attitudes that she compared rape to getting “lemons” and suggested that the victims of such a heinous crime should just suck it up and make “lemonade.” Perhaps these politicians have done and said offensive things, but their offenses are transparent. The obscene nature of their transgressions is obvious. People are not easily fooled by each. Voters understand the values of each, and vote accordingly. Some people voted for Sharon Angle, indicating that either they agreed with her views about abortion, or they were willing to tolerate her radical views because they agreed with her political positions on most issues. In Bill Clinton’s case a dress is evidence of the fact that he lied. In the case of John Edwards there is a child to prove that he lies. Both are dishonest. yet neither compares to Sarah Palin. Sarah Palin is different.
Palin is different in part because she is a pretty woman. Unfortunately voters are human and we tend to vote for attractive people. Most of the men who have occupied the White House in my life time, had a full head of hair. None were obese. Most were athletic. Palin was sufficiently attractive that she was the runner-up in the Miss Alaska beauty pageant. She is athletic and she is not overweight. Some women aspire to look like her, and have imitated her hair style and purchased glasses to look like hers.
Men tend to value appearance in women, more than women do in men. When you see a couple where one person is noticeably more attractive than the other, it is usually the woman who is more attractive than the man. Thus for many men to vote for a woman, the first characteristic they might evaluate is her level of attractiveness. Because Palin is attractive, she is a contender. When John McCain met with Palin for roughly 30 minutes before he chose her, he obviously wasn’t able to assess her intellect during that brief encounter, but 30 minutes was more than sufficient to evaluate her appearance.
After the election of 2008 McCain’s own staff disclosed the serious flaws in Palin’s personalities. Not only were interviews given to Fox News about Palin’s lack of “knowledge-ability” but we were provided with specifics from Steve Schmidt in his interview with Anderson Cooper. If biased, we would expect Mr. Schmidt to be favorably disposed to Palin. As the head of the McCain campaign, he was in a unique position to know and evaluate Sarah Palin. If he were biased we would expect him to be favorably disposed to Palin. Instead he spoke of her lack of understanding of world affairs, and her desire to lie. He was not part of the “lame-stream” media or a member of the “liberal elite.” Yet people seem to have missed or forgotten what the McCain’s s people disclosed about Palin. They continue to give money, and millions have become her “fan.” She incites people at rallies as a rock star might. She fails to articulate any policies, but offers only condemnation of those politicians who are still addressing the problems facing the country instead of resigning from office. She articulates positions that are patently inconsistent, such as balancing the budget, but at the same time lowering taxes and increasing military spending. Because she is not in a position to have to make sense, she is not accountable for anything she says or does. When she speaks of “common sense” she is not required to have any.
If Sarah Palin were like Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck, we might object to
her rhetoric, but she would not be a risk to the future of the country. Because Palin is about to announce her bid to become President of the country, we must speak out, and begin NOW making voters aware of the limitations and lies of Sarah Palin. The list is long and impressive:
1. Palin lacks the education necessary for the office of President. Attending five schools to obtain a degree in broadcast journalism is not the level of preparation necessary to gain a sufficient understanding of any skill or knowledge required of the President, except perhaps the ability to give a speech.
2. Palin lacks knowledge of world affairs. Her failure to understand that Africa is a continent, not a country, or to talk about our “North Korean allies” are examples that scream to us that to trust her with the nuclear codes would put the United States in unimaginable peril.
3. Palin is willing to lie any time and as often as she desires. Truth is not important in her world, or even relevant. When her comment about Death Panels was identified as the worst lie of 2009 she seems to be unaffected, lacks any accountability, and is still promoting that lie in 2010. When the Alaskan Legislative Panel found that she acted unethically in the Trooper Gate matter, she declared that she was completely vindicated. In a national interview with Charlie Gibson she said she was opposed to earmarks, even though she has sought and obtained millions of dollars in earmarks for Alaska.
4. Palin has a history of extremely poor judgments that directly resulted in total waste of tax payer dollars. Examples would include the authorization for the building of the Road to Nowhere and the construction of the hockey center in Wasilla on land she KNEW was not owned by the city.
5. Palin has demonstrated extremely poor judgment of people. One of the most important jobs of the President is the selection of his/her cabinet and even members of the Supreme Court. Imagine the horror of an appointment by President Palin of Christine O’Donnell or Sharon Angle to the United States Supreme Court. The only reason we can laugh about Christine O’Donnell is because she is not in a position to affect the future of the civil rights of the people in this country.
6. Palin believes she is above the law. She does not hold any office and yet feels that she is not like the rest of us and has to pay taxes or get hunting and fishing licenses.
7. Palin believes that God has chosen her to lead the country. She thinks that both God and the Holy Spirit speak to her. Thus if Sarah Palin undertakes any action, it doesn’t have to be well reasoned or based on all available facts. It is God’s will, and thus she believes she is right. While I believe in the power of prayer, I also believe that God expects us to accept responsibility for our actions, and that if there are facts and information available to us, it is incumbent upon us to use the information available to us to make the best decisions possible;… and then pray that we had all the facts. If Sarah Palin truly believes she talks to God, why hasn’t she already fixed the economy? Why didn’t she ask God to protect the Haitians from the earthquake? Why didn’t she pray that the Gulf Oil Spill would never have happened, or once it did, why did it take so long to bring it under control? Perhaps if Sarah Palin has a unique connection to God she belongs in church praying for the country instead of sitting in the oval office. For me when I say my prayers, I pray that Sarah Palin stays in church and far removed from the powerful office of President of the United States.