You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘Abortion’ tag.
Persons who have followed B.S.’s 12 Step Program are men and women who have shared their experience, strength, and hope in an effort to achieve the type of conservatism that has become known as “common sense”. The only requirement for membership in this elite society is the desire to create as much distance as possible between yourself and reality. The wonderful thing about this society is that it purports to achieve enlightenment through “common sense”, where none may exist. A prerequisite to membership is to cleanse your body of the evil promoted by liberals, sometimes referred to as “reality”. There are no dues or fees, but Beautiful Sarah will gladly accept any contributions you may wish to make as a sign of your devotion to God, and to the principles set forth in this easy 12 Step Program. After taking moral inventory of yourself, compare your score to Sarah’s and see how you rate. Unethical behavior will actually increase your score, so don’t concern yourself with past transgressions.
These are the steps recommended by B.S. Follow these, and you too can reach enlightenment. You will be reborn as a “common sense conservative”, even if you don’t know what that means.
- Getting pregnant is critical: The first step is to become pregnant by the man you think you want to marry. The younger you are when you achieve this goal, the vaster our choice of men will be. Fear not for your future as you will have 9 months to decide if you actually want to marry that man. Pregnancy puts you in the drivers’ seat. As evidenced by Sarah’s experience with Todd, and Bristol’s experience with Levi, just look at what can be accomplished if you take control of your future. If you become unhappy with your choice and opt for an abortion, don’t worry. You won’t fall from grace, or Sarah’s blessing. She hired Lynn Vincent to write her book Going Rogue and Lynn admits to having an abortion. Sarah has endorsed Star Parker and she has had four abortions. Thus the critical criterion is what you SAY, as opposed to what you DO. Additionally, always be the victim. Nothing brings out the stupid in men like a helpless woman who is being put down by insensitive and mean spirited bloggers.
- Forget education: Education takes a lot of time and is hard work. Don’t expect yourself to have the discipline necessary to acquire something you don’t need. Todd has only a high school degree and he was able to become a millionaire by marrying Sarah. The lesson to learn is simply marrying someone who is rich, or who will become rich, or be adopted by a person who has achieved financial success. Bristol and Track don’t have college degrees, but they both have very comfortable lives and they aren’t even married.
- Quitting: If you gain fame from being a politician, or through another more difficult method, take immediate advantage of the publicity. Commitment and dedication are overrated. Learn from Sarah. She quit as soon as possible after achieving fame. In just 12 short months she made over $12,000,000. Remember the adage: “You can fool most of the people, for a short time.” You can’t fix “stupid” so don’t waste you time trying. Make money while you are hot.
- Look Out for Number One: If you are pregnant with a “special needs” child, having had 4 previous pregnancies, and you have a chance to give a speech, just do it. You have had babies before, and you are a self-sufficient, independent woman. To suggest that you should rely upon medical personnel to assist in the delivery is to suggest that you are weak and dependant. Some people might try to convince you that traveling on an airplane after your water has broken, and after you have started having contractions is unwise. Ignore them! Labor is a total waste of time. An average airplane passenger wastes a lot of time sitting on the plane. You must be a master of multi-tasking. Spending 10 hours on a flight, while in labor, is a perfect example of time management skills that you can achieve if you are so committed. I know people say that Down syndrome kids have more health risks than other kids, but after all they are already “special needs” children. God helps those who help themselves. As adults we each have our own “special needs.”, If you compromise the health of your baby it will be good training for the baby. Your unborn child will understand that to focus on their own “special needs” is selfish and self-centered. Parents must teach by example. If we don’t teach our kids to look out for their own self interest, who will?
- Invest for the Long Term:Neighbors are cost centers. Loving your neighbor is a drain on your energy, time, and productivity. If that neighbor is writing a book about you, he represents a long-term liability. The cost of a tall fence pales in comparison to the potential financial impact that neighbor may have on your future wealth.
- God Made You White and Heterosexual to Ensure the Future of the Race: God’s plan is for you to procreate with other people of the same race, as often as possible. Birth control should never be used by a Caucasian. If you are homosexual, or of another more colorful race of people you, or your parents, were simply not praying hard enough. We must return to our roots. When humans walked the earth with the dinosaurs there were only Caucasian heterosexual people.
- Lying is an Acquired Skill: Don’t feel discouraged if you have made some bad choices in the past. Nothing is too difficult to overcome if you have faith. Four abortions, armed robbery, welfare abuse, shoplifting, and drug usage didn’t deter Star Parker, who has Sarah’s endorsement. Advertising yourself as a devout Christian may be all that people need to hear to disregard past transgressions. After all, it is a Christian virtue to “forgive” so if a person can’t forgive you; it is their failing, not yours. Sarah Palin has achieved mastery of art of lying. She can even convince herself that she is not lying, if it suits her purpose. The bridge to nowhere, the road to nowhere, Troopergate, lowering sales tax in Wasilla, decreasing debt for Alaska, or banning books about homosexuality are just a few representative samples of the expertise that is possible to achieve with practice and a commitment to excellence.
- Invoke God’s Name Often: You can say or do stupid things, but invoking God’s name will cause people to forget your failings. The Bible says that we are sinners, and that we are not perfect. You can criticize the President for using a teleprompter, while writing on your hand. You can chant “drill baby drill” immediately before the worst environmental disaster in America’s history. You can advocate the building of dikes 41 miles off shore where the ocean floor is 5,000 feet deep, but all will be forgiven if you suggest that we should seek divine intervention. God is a powerful force. Don’t be afraid to use him.
- Establish a World View: Sign language is universal. A simple waive of your hand, or something as simple as a wink can send a powerful message. Even if you have not traveled outside of your hometown, just turn to the east and the west and waive. Now you can say that you have communicated with people from around the world. If you encounter an adversary, wink. A simple wink can disarm even the fiercest of opponents. They are often caught off guard and unprepared to respond.
- Animals are Not Your Friends: Don’t be afraid to kill any animal if it makes you happy. There are more non-human mammals in the world than people, so we are in the minority. I would like to see humans become the majority during my lifetime.
- Children Are Here For Your Use: Since the beginning of time families have had many children and it was the obligation of the kids to serve their parents. Kids have worked in the fields where they were essential to planting and harvesting. Children today don’t share the same work ethic, or the commitment to family values that was seen in children that lived 100 years ago. If Piper needs to miss school to serve as Sarah’s ambassador of good will it is her obligation to do so. If Trig needs to be up past his bedtime to serve as a reminder of Sarah’s position on abortion, it is his obligation to do so. Sarah gave life to him…at least that is what she says. If Bristol had to become a “born again virgin” to excuse past transgressions, she owes it to her mother to right the wrongs of the past. God gave you children for your use, so use them.
These 12 steps are not a guarantee for enlightenment, but they will certainly put the odds in your favor. If God blessed you with physical attractiveness, then he must love you more than those of average, or below average, appearance. Sarah Palin is a perfect example of a person who thought hell would freeze over before people would vote for her for any political position. Her blood is cold, but it is not frozen. She has taught us that the political system can be manipulated by a pretty woman. If you love your freedom; if you love your God; if you are grateful to the members of the military; simply send in 13 easy payments of $1999.99, one for each step of the program. God Bless You!
Both Democrats and Republicans have been associated with political scandal for years. Democratic standouts include former Governor of New York Eliot Spitzer, whose involvement with a prostitute led to his resignation, and Governor of Illinois Rod Blagojevich, who was arrested on federal corruption charges of conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud and solicitation of bribery, including attempting “to obtain personal gain … through the corrupt use” of his authority to fill Barack Obama‘s vacated United States Senate seat. Recent Republican standouts include, Governor Mark Sanford of South Carolina who traveled to Buenos Aires for a rendezvous with a mistress without telling anyone where he was going for at least four days, and Alaska Senator Ted Stevens who was convicted of seven corruption related felonies.
Even though these politicians are associated with different political parties, they have two things in common. They were each immoral, and the degree of their failings was not obvious until AFTER they were elected to office. Imagine the absurdity of electing a politician AFTER we were aware of their misdeeds, demonstrated immorality, and their violation of the law and total lack of respect for our system of government. Certainly we would not expect ANY person to endorse a person for political office who was an admitted felon, a person who admitted to a history of intentional abuse of the government, or who herself repeatedly engaged in the very type of behavior that her political party condemned. Sarah Palin, the politically shrewd leader that she is, has amazed us once again.
When Grandma Palin she said she was a “maverick” we didn’t think she meant, resigning as Governor, building dikes in the Gulf of Mexico, or endorsing a woman named “Star”. She did resign as Governor; she did suggest we consult the Dutch regarding building dikes; and she has now endorsed Star Parker. Palin describes Parker’s life as an “incredible story”.
Star Parker’s life story includes:
- Ms. Parker’s first book was entitled, Pimps, Whores, and Welfare Brats.
- Star Parker was dependent on welfare for almost 6 years, and who described welfare as having a “magical and sometimes luxurious hold” (Parker 7).
- Ms. Parker is proud of her public “service” to keep condoms out of public schools (7).
- Parker advertises the fact that she has had FOUR abortions (136). She reports a conversation during the second abortion visit to a clinic where the woman working the desk remembered her from a visit 6 months earlier, and suggested that she consider using the pill. Parker’s flippant response was to suggest that Parker’s preference of an abortion to birth control ensured the continued employment of the receptionist at the abortion clinic (20-21).
- Even after her second abortion, Parker continued to be sexually “active” and had a third pregnancy in a little more than one year (21).
- Parker explains that the notion that a woman owns herself hurts the black community.
- According to Parker, Socialism violates the 10 Commandments.
- Parker admits to committing welfare fraud.
- Parker admits to armed robbery. Armed Robbery is a felony in California.
- Parker admits to breaking and entering.
- Parker explains that the reason women can’t cook is because public schools have replaced home economics classes with sex education classes.
- Leftism, according to Parker, is an “equal opportunity destroyer”.
- Parker feels that unmarried childless women are a drain on society because they rely on government to care for them in their old age.
- Parker’s shrewd analysis of the problems in society today are the result of men without wives and children who then become promiscuous and criminals.
- HIV, according to Parker, is the result of men committing sodomy in prison and spreading it to women upon release from prison.
- Parker favors the abolition of Social Security. Parker astutely reasons that abortion is the reason that we have fewer people in the work force and thus the insolvency of the Social Security Administration is the result of abortions.
- Even though Parker has had four abortions herself, she now opposes “choice” for other women. She also opposes the use of the pill, and all forms of contraception. Interestingly Parker is now 54 years old, so maybe for her contraception is no longer necessary to prevent an unwanted pregnancy.
Any one of these attitudes would be enough to result in an educated, thinking and competent adult become physically ill. However Palin is not sickened by Parker’s views. Palin supports it; she embraces it; she endorses it. If any of these positions were made known AFTER Palin’s endorsement, maybe we would understand that it is hard to determine every view of every candidate that you might support. Yet all of these positions and comments were made by Star Parker BEFORE Palin endorsed her.
Even if Palin didn’t have the political insight to do her own analysis of Star Parker, did Palin fail to consult with the Republican Party’s own website before exercising her own savvy judgment? If half-term-ex-Governor Palin, or anyone on her staff, had spent five minutes doing their homework they would know that:
The California Republican Party website doesn’t even feature Star Parker as one of its candidates even though Parker is running as a Republican for House of Representatives, yet the site does include pictures and information on Republicans running for Governor, Senate, State Treasurer, Lt. Governor, Attorney General, and the State Controller.
The Republican Party’s stance on crime includes recognition for the importance of enforcing existing criminal laws, and a mandate for harsher penalties for crimes committed. The Republican Party has especially targeted crimes involving the use of guns. I wonder if Star Parker was ever in their gun sights.
The Republican Party has supported doubling abstinence education funding, and they oppose school-based clinics that provide referrals, counseling, and related services for contraception. Ms. Parker is no longer in school, so why would she care?
The Republican Party supports a “pro-life” Amendment to the Constitution. Thank heavens they do not support “punitive action” against women who have had an abortion. If they did the Party might not be “pro-life” with regard to Star Parker.
Do you think that the Republican Party was targeting Star Parker when it explained that:
“We must decrease (welfare) abuse caseloads and increase accountability in the child protection system. … Government should work with faith-based groups that provide adoption services. We call for local efforts to help the children of prisoners”?
The Republican Party has emphasized the importance of traditional family values identifying families as the “cornerstone of our culture…and the building blocks of a strong society.” The Republican Party offers an “approach based on our common values and our common hopes.” If Star Parker and Sarah Palin represent the common values and hopes of the Republican Party, then the Republican Party is hopeless.
The U.S. Department of Forestry today announced the escape of two female Grizzly Bears from a traveling circus. The circus was under investigation for ethical violations and animal rights advocates have lodged repeated complaints relating to the abusive conditions imposed by sounds emanating from the circus. Circus performances were characterized by outrageous ticket prices, and repetition of old tricks that were unimpressive to audiences foolish enough to purchase tickets. However cameras were never allowed to film the performances, so the perception of similarity of tricks performed by the bears was subject to the variability in memory of members of the audience.
One of the bears answers to the name “Sarah,” and the other answers to “Star”. It is not clear if these names represent an apparent attempt to attract media attention. Sarah is slightly younger, and is of lighter complexion than Star bear. Star may be readily identified by her darker fur color and the length of her fur. Seeing a bear can be a most memorable and exciting experience. However BEWARE! These bears are quite hungry and have no fear of humans when it comes to seeking out food or money. These bears are extremely adept at foraging for food and money. They have demonstrated the ability to mislead and use their cunning to draw in their prey. These Grizzlies, especially the younger one, has been known to even kill other bears.
Bears have been known to swim, climb trees, bend open car doors, and pry out windshields. They have demonstrated their ability to adapt their lifestyles to the availability of food and money. Star has a history of living off of the food and money she could take from humans. Sarah has a history of killing any animal in her path.
Both bears seem to have a similar view of the world in which they live. Both say and do things that serve their purpose at the time, but things they say are often directly contrary to previous behavior. Under NO circumstances should you allow these bears to persuade you to give them food or money, as they already have more than enough to sustain them for the foreseeable future. Both bears have similar traits, so you may be able to distinguish them from other bears. Similarities include:
- Star had 4 abortions. Sarah only contemplated having an abortion. Both are now openly critical of any other bear that might make the choice of having an abortion, even if the pregnancy was the result of abuse by a papa bear, or by a rogue bear.
- Both Star and Sarah bears are now grandmothers, so they tend to be less protective of their offspring.
- Bears that prefer bears of the same sex should be especially mindful of avoiding any contact with these two bears. Each seems to lack respect for homosexual bears.
- Even though both bears became pregnant before forming a life long bond with a papa bear, neither bear advocates use of birth control. Mating for these bears is serious business and appears to be for the sole purpose of procreation. This may result in unanticipated acts of aggression.
- Star and Sarah bear have worked to create the impression that they are self reliant and self sufficient. However the reality is that these bears are very cunning. Star bear has a history of relying upon zoo keepers to provide food and shelter for her, and Sarah bear has a history of relying upon zoo keepers for medical treatment of her family members.
- Both bears believe that they are the highest creatures on the food chain, and that they were created directly by God, in his image, and discount anyone who suggests that bears evolved from other creatures.
- Both bears have published books. While it appears Star has established her ability to read the same is not true of Sarah bear.
- Experience with illegal drugs is a common characteristic of both bears.
- Both bears have had periods in their past where they were not employed; Sarah after she resigned from the Oil & Gas Commission, and Star while she was on welfare.
- Both bears have spent time in Alaska, so the people of Alaska should be especially cautious.
- Star bear has a history of taking things from stores without paying for them. Sarah bear seems to have been cleverer about things she takes, as evidenced by her accumulation of swag at the Academy Awards.
- Both bears indicate they love their freedom, so any attempts to cage these bears may be met with violent behavior. If either bear is spotted, please contact the Forestry Department immediately so that experts can re-locate the bears to a remote location where no harm may be caused.
- Even though these bears have a lot in common, they should never be left alone together. Sarah bear has a long history of turning on those who might have previously been perceived as friendly. With names that both start with the letter “S” the bears may become confused and try to eat the food of the other. Sarah bear also has a history of discomfort with bears with skin and fur pigment different than her own. Thus we may not be able to predict violent behavior of Sarah bear towards Star bear if they are left alone.
- Both bears seem to think there is a big bear in the sky that controls their destiny, so if confronted by either bear, drop to your knees with folded hands, and pray.
- Sarah bear has a history of unpredictability. She has repeatedly demonstrated her lack of respect for community organizers and humans who might be associated with a message of hope. Star bear has a history of community involvement and advertises a message of “hope”. Thus Star bear should exercise extreme caution if Sarah bear begins to growl.
Two final words of CAUTION: (1) Sarah bear believes she has “common sense”. This is an especially dangerous trait of this Grizzly. She lacks any common sense as illustrated by her tendency to abandon her own bear cubs, her insatiable desire for bear meat, and her ongoing attempts to build dikes in the ocean where she can’t reach the ocean floor and at a distance so far from shore that she could never swim back. (2) DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS! Never give bears food or money. Giving food or money to these bears will only encourage dependence. Dependence on others for food and money will inevitable result in the demise of these bears teaching them a lifestyle of dependence.
Grizzly Bears can injure or kill people. When pressed they usually retreat, sometimes abandoning their cubs. If you spot either Sarah bear or Star bear DO NOT ATTEMPT CONTACT!! Contact the Wyoming Game and Fish department at (307) 777-4600 between 8:00-5:00 Mountain Time.
I’d like to take this opportunity to introduce you to my nephew, Palmer. He is an adorable 1 year old, and the son of my younger brother.
My brother and his wife had difficulty getting pregnant. After a great deal of anxiety, money, and medical technology, my sister-in-law was able to become pregnant. The really exciting and amazing news was that she was pregnant with twins. My brother arrived at Thanksgiving dinner filled with elation, wearing a Minnesota Twins jersey, to announce their news. The pregnancy progressed for about three months without complication. In the fourth month the doctors advised that one of the twins was severely malformed. Just one of the many abnormalities of this fetus was a brain abnormality that was similar to hydro encephalopathy, but much more severe. The worst of the problems for this twin was that its main blood vessels were abnormal. There was a complete absence of any blood vessel leading from the heart to the lungs. This meant that the only reason that this fetus was alive was that it was getting oxygen from its mother’s blood. At birth, after the mother’s blood would no longer oxygenate the baby, it would suffocate and be dead within a couple of minutes.
Being Catholic, my brother was opposed to abortion, and was willing for his wife to carry this fetus to term, knowing the inevitable outcome. However things changed in the fourth month of the pregnancy. The “Angel Baby”, which was in a separate amniotic sac, started to accumulate an excessive amount of amniotic fluid. The baby that appeared to be healthy was starting to be compromised. The level of amniotic fluid in the amniotic sac of the healthy twin was dangerously low. The doctor predicted that if the pregnancy was allowed to continue without intervention the healthy baby would die. The doctor recommended termination of “Angel Baby”. Shock, despair, and grief were just some of the feelings that consumed my brother and his wife. After consulting three other doctors, and getting the same advice from the others, termination of the “Angel Baby” was the only option if they were to save Palmer. The picture above is proof that they made the right decision. They made the decision to choose life, by terminating the pregnancy of a fetus that would have died upon birth. To the rest of the family, the decision to terminate the unhealthy twin seemed the obvious choice. However this decision, at the time, was the hardest choice my brother and his wife had ever had to make.
I share this personal story with everyone today because it is the best example I can give to illustrate that none of us are in a position to appreciate the unique situations that mothers and fathers may face with regard to terminating a pregnancy. Sarah Palin has made her right to life views known from the time she ran for Mayor of Wasilla. Of the many candidates she has endorsed, the one thing that is the common thread among all is their proclaimed stance on abortion. It appears that Palin’s view of a woman’s right to choice, or Palin’s wish to abolish that right, is the single most important issue to her. Adults and children are killed every day unnecessarily by guns. Those deaths represent the end of life for people who were able to sustain life, until someone ended that right. Palin doesn’t donate her time when she gives speeches to right to life groups, but she donated her time to the NRA. Palin suggests that war is God’s plan. Who is speaking up for, and being an advocate for, the thousands of American soldiers, civilians, and children killed in the Iraq war? Unwanted children are born in the United States and become the victims of abuse, neglect, and even death. Workers in mines and on off-shore rigs are killed due to lack of compliance with safety standards. Yet Palin advocates less governmental intrusion in our lives, even though those are each cases where more governmental involvement might have saved lives. Surely each of those tragedies, involving our sons and daughters, are more egregious than aborting a fetus that is not sufficiently developed to independently sustain life.
As a society, our values and moral judgments come with a price tag. I previously devoted an entire post to the cost to America of reversing Roe v. Wade. Our national debt has become one of the most pressing issues in our country today. The reality is that if we can’t sustain our economy as it exists now, we do not have the luxury of adding additional debt associated with unwanted children. Debt is causing collapse of entire countries, including Greece and Portugal. In our struggle to manage our debt we can ill afford to increase our debt by adding the expense associated with another war, additional entitlements, or the cost of supporting an additional one million unwanted children every year.
Unfortunately it seems that all too often the issue of abortion is associated with the notion that it is the preferred birth control method of promiscuous teenage girls. However those teenage girls must have a boy to impregnate them, before abortion is needed. Those teenage girls are women who have not had the benefit of an education about birth control, or lack the financial means to obtain appropriate birth control. The incontrovertible fact is that today in the United States premarital sex is “universal”. An estimated 95% of people engage in premarital sex. Thus 95% of the politicians, who publically advocate a “right to life” agenda, appreciate the importance of birth control education and ensuring that birth control is available. Why are those politicians, and people like Sarah Palin, who so vehemently oppose abortion, not dedicating themselves to birth control education and accessibility?
Abortion is always an emotional issue, regardless of whether you support the right to choose, or not. The critical consideration is that the choice should be personal. None of us can know how we would react if our daughters were raped or became the victims of incest. We can’t comprehend how we might react if our daughters became suicidal because of an unwanted pregnancy. It is impossible to anticipate every circumstance that might present itself, as the example of my brother illustrates. I can’t know why Lynn Vincent, the ghost writer of Palin’s book Going Rogue, made the choice to have an abortion. I don’t feel it is my place to impose my beliefs on her. If a person’s faith dictates that abortion is always evil, regardless of the circumstances, our Constitution ensures their right to refuse that option for themselves. It appears Palin was pregnant when she married Todd, as indicated by Lorenzo Benet in Trailblazer. I respect her right to choose to get married and have the baby. If Bristol chose to give birth to a baby out of wedlock as a teenage mother, I also respect her right to make that choice. However I also respect my brother’s choice to protect the life of his unborn child. Sometimes choosing life means choosing to have an abortion. We should not presume to know what is best for another. We can not, as a country, afford to make that choice for another.
(Part 1 of 2)
Abortion is the only topic more controversial than politics and religion, perhaps because it involves both. Sarah Palin is a staunch supporter of the right-to-life movement. She is not supportive of abortion unless the mother’s life is in danger. Even in the case of rape or incest, Palin opposes abortion. As early as her race in 1996 for Mayor of Wasilla, Palin made abortion a part of her campaign. Until that time the race for the position as Mayor had been compared to a friendly intramural contest among neighbors. Even if you didn’t know who Sarah Palin was before the night of the Republican Convention, as of that evening Palin made sure everyone watching would know that she had a special needs child. Trig has become a constant reminder of Palin’s position on abortion.
Palin often gives speeches, for which she is, paid $100,000, and in which she suggests that abortion should not be a choice. In those same speeches Palin has advocated the importance of balancing the budget; she has opposed Obama’s health care initiative, referring to it as “Obamacare”and “nonsensical”. Thus people pay Sarah Palin $100,000 to tell us that we should insist on balancing the budget that we should oppose virtually all forms of abortion, and that health care should not be provided as a service to those citizens in need of it. As Palin gets wealthier, our country goes further in debt. For a minute, disregard the philosophical issues of abortion, and simply consider just how unrealistic it would be to prohibit abortion, balance the budget, and limit the cost of health care.
First consider the cost of an abortion compared to the cost of delivery. In Dallas, Texas, the cost of a routine abortion is less than $500.00. A normal vaginal uncomplicated delivery costs $5,000-$8,000.
The cost of raising a child only to 18 years old, EXCLUDING college, is between $125,000 and $250,000.
In 1976 Congress passed the Hyde Amendment which excludes abortion from the comprehensive health services provided through Medicaid. Under the new health care law recently passed, federal funds are only available in cases of rape, incest or to save the life of the mother.
In 2006 there were 4.3 million child-birth related hospitalizations of women costing an estimated $14.8 billion in hospital costs. Forty-two percent of the costs associated with maternal-childbirth related hospital stays ($6.3 billion) were billed to Medicaid.
Approximately half of all pregnancies in the U.S. are unplanned. When considering the cost of having an unwanted child it is essential to consider the cost to society during the child’s lifetime. Additional considerations should include:
Women who gave birth as teenagers make up nearly half of the welfare caseload. This group of women is less likely to have high school diplomas, and they are more likely to have larger families. Both of these characteristics increase the likelihood of being among the poorest welfare recipients.
The strongest predictor of whether a person will end up in prison was that the criminal was raised by a single parent.
The five states, New York, California, Washington, Alaska, and Hawaii which embraced a woman’s right to an abortion for two years before Roe v. Wade, realized an earlier 13% drop in their crime rates than the rest of the nation (Dubner and Levitt 141).
The states with the highest abortion rates in the 1970’s experienced the highest crime drop in the 1990’s (141).
In the 1990’s there was a clear downward trend in the numbers of teen pregnancies. The trend has now reversed, and 7% of teen girls got pregnant in 2006, which is an increase from 2005. Given these incontrovertible statistics, we know that more teenage girls are getting pregnant, and the mothers and their children present an increasing financial burden on the U.S. economy. This burden includes not only the cost of the delivery of the baby, welfare, Medicare, education, criminal court costs, but also the cost to society of additional crime and the cost of a dramatic increase in the prison population. Given the growing concern over the national debt it would seem that voters would choose either reduction of the national debt or anti-abortion as primary issues, but not both. The two are unquestionably inconsistent. It is clear that when the government gives a woman the opportunity to make her own decision about abortion, she generally does a good job figuring out if she is in a position to raise a baby well (145).
The incontrovertible conclusion must be that the cost to our country of reversing Roe v. Wade would be dramatic. When our politicians or a commentator with Fox News suggests that they are proponents of over turning Roe v. Wade, they are necessarily advocating an increase in governmental expense for entitlements, for prisons, for education, and they are guaranteeing an increase in crime in the United States. That’s a guarantee I don’t want.
It’s no secret that Sarah Palin is motivated by money. Yet it has never been as obvious as in her recent appearance in Canada. On Thursday, April 15, Palin appeared in Hamilton, Canada. I knew articles had appeared indicating Palin was receiving $200,000 for the Canadian speaking engagement, as compared to the paltry sum of $100,000 she has been receiving for her speeches in the United States, but what I didn’t realize was that the speech was originally planned to benefit the Juravinski Cancer Centre and St. Peter’s Hospital in Canada. After news articles and blogs in Canada were outraged by Palin’s scheduled appearance, the charitable causes were changed, but not the appearance. The original charities were part of Canada’s publicly funded health care system, and St. Peter’s Hospital is a facility that performs abortions. Thus the change of beneficiaries was not Palin’s doing, but the response of the organizers of the event to public outrage. While Palin had only good things to say in her speech about Canada, it seems what she likes best about Canada is not the political ideology of the Canadian people, but their willingness to pay double her regular fee. Consider significant differences in Canada, and the ideologies for which Palin purports to stand:
- Canada has a nationalized system of health care. Palin has admitted that her family relied upon Canada’s nationalized health care when she was a child, but now opposes national health care in the United States.
- Palin has positioned herself as a champion for the right-to-life movement, but in Canada, abortion is available to women as a matter of right, and St. Peter’s Hospital is just one of the many hospitals that provide that service.
- Palin has advocated in the United States the need to reduce taxes. Yet in Canada people pay, on average, more money in taxes than in the United States. In Canada total tax, and non-tax revenue for every level of government equals about 38.4% of the Gross Domestic Product, and in the United States the rate is closer to 28.2%.
- Palin has also campaigned against the rights of homosexuals in the United States. Palin has professed her belief that homosexuality is a “choice”, her opposition to gay marriage, and her religious opposition to homosexuality. Palin is clearly not a friend to the homosexual community. Conversely, Canada has a history of being more open and accepting of its homosexual community. In 2005 Canada became the fourth country in the world to legalize same-sex marriages, through the enactment of the Civil Marriage Act. Even before the enactment of the Civil Marriage Act in Canada, as early as 1999 most legal benefits commonly associated with marriage had already been afforded to cohabitating same-sex couples. On July 20, 2005, Canada became the fourth country in the world to legalize same-sex marriage nationwide with the enactment of the Civil Marriage Act. Court decisions, as early as 2003, legalized same-sex marriage in eight out of ten provinces and one of three territories, whose residents comprised about 90% of Canada‘s population. Before passage of the Act, more than 3,000 same-sex couples had already married in these areas. Most legal benefits commonly associated with marriage had been extended to cohabiting same-sex couples in Canada since 1999.
Palin’s appearance and speech in Canada could be compared to her speech to the bowlers’ convention, and the wholesale liquor convention. All three had nothing to do with politics, or philosophy, but everything to do with money.
Newsmax magazine, the beacon of modern thought, and progressive intellect, in its wisdom has labeled Sarah Palin as a Leader of the “Newer Feminism”. As a woman, a wife of 25 years and mother to three children, I never wanted a sex change operation until now. Newsmax identified Palin as an “icon of the new feminism.” If she represents feminism, I don’t want to be associated with that group. Obviously the Newsmax headline was not written by a woman. This impression was confirmed upon a little investigation into the make up of the Newsmax team. Out of 11 Newsmax editors, none are women. The editors at Newsmax must have failed to notice that in the election of 2008, the majority of the voters for Barack Obama were women. Eight million more women than men voted for Obama. Just because Palin is a woman, it doesn’t necessarily follow that she was the woman’s candidate. Maybe I don’t need a sex change operation after all. I know Sarah wrote a letter to herself, from “Trig’s Creator”, and it clarified so much for her. Maybe if I write a letter to Sarah from the “Creator” of women it might clarify some issues for her. If I send a copy to Newsmax, perhaps they will understand that women have advocated for a decade that gender should not be the reason for our votes, a promotion or the amount of money paid to someone. Sarah understands that God doesn’t make mistakes, and neither did the 35,900,000 women who voted for Barack Obama.
I know you have been busy lately, so understand that I am trying to help you realize your place in the American society. You serve a very valuable purpose, which is to remind men and women around the country of the type of woman that most women find embarrassing and humiliating. For decades we have listened to dumb blond jokes, but these jokes are old and frankly, not very funny. You have single-handedly created job security for Tina Fey for the foreseeable future (that means as long as we can imagine). Issues that are the most important to anyone who considers herself to be a feminist would necessarily include:
FAIR PAY - You explained in the 2008 campaign that you were opposed to women being paid the same as a man, if she was working the same job, and performing that job as well, or better, than her male counterpart (that means the male worker) as indicated by your opposition to the Ledbetter Fair Pay Act. Women have been fighting for equal treatment in the workplace for over 100 years. When you said you were supported the Supreme Court’s decision in the Ledbetter case, where the Court found that Ms. Ledbetter was not entitled to sue her employer of over 20 years for intentionally discriminating against her, you didn’t look like a feminist, or even a person with two x chromosomes. Your only reason for supporting disparate pay for men and women (that means women are paid less than men for the same job) was that attorneys might make money off of their representation of women who had been treated unfairly. Frankly Sarah, this position would have been enough to end your career as a politician, but I guess you knew that when you resigned. You were smart enough to know that your career as a politician was over. You knew that “no” you would not seek higher office, or you would have finished out your term as Governor (Palin 381).
Since you resigned you position as Governor you have realized a windfall of $12,000,000.00. This was my gift Sarah to you so that you would leave women alone. Don’t let anyone say that you represent the majority of women. It’s now time to show me that you appreciate all the money I bestowed upon you. Don’t let anyone else say that you are a representative of feminism.
REPRODUCTIVE FREEDOM – Sarah, I know that previously you have said that you were “pro-life”. Let me explain something to you. Sometimes, protecting life, means allowing a woman to make the best choice for her. You can’t always know what the circumstances might be in that woman’s life. For example, when a woman is pregnant with twins, and one baby is determined to have abnormalities that would prevent him from living outside the womb, and that baby is preventing the healthy twin from developing normally, an abortion may be necessary to save the life of the healthy twin. If a woman has been raped, and can’t live with the idea of carrying, giving birth and raising the child of the evil perpetrator who raped her (that means the rapist), she might consider taking her own life. Certainly she is the only one to appreciate the importance of protecting her own life, and an abortion might save her life. I know you are not in favor of allowing a woman to choose, even in the case of incest. However many girls who are the victims of incest are children and it would be dangerous for them to become pregnant at such a young age. If their reproductive organs are so damaged by having a child at such a young age, they may not be able to have children later in life. I know you have five children, but some women might want to have just one, at the right time, and victims of incest might not have that option when adults, if you prevent them from having a choice when they are children. Thirty Seven years ago the United States Supreme Court recognized that it was a woman’s “fundamental right under the United States Constitution” to terminate or continue a pregnancy in the first trimester of a pregnancy. The Court explained in 1973 that this decision is one that “should be made between doctor and patient, not legislated by the government.” Roe v Wade 410 U.S. 113(1973). This is still the law. You are not a doctor and you are not part of the government, so it is not your “choice”.
At the time of Roe, the Court was comprised totally of men, and only two Justices dissented. Until the decision in Roe, women who wanted an abortion had dangerous, illegal abortions or traveled to one of four states in the entire country where the procedure was legal. Thus women who were pregnant and had money could afford to travel to have such a procedure performed, but women of limited financial means would seek dangerous procedures, performed by someone other than a medical doctor. Many women lost their lives. I know you now have plenty of money, but consider the woman who can’t afford groceries for herself, or her children, and may be feeling desperate. The people you support help that woman “choose life” but they don’t help provide any financial support for that woman or child afterwards. They don’t even want to pay for health care for the child.
Ninety five percent of people in the United States have had pre-marital sex. Given these high percentages, I am not condemning you for not abstaining before marriage, and I am not condemning Bristol for saying that abstinence is “not realistic”. You might learn from my example, and stop condemning others.
EDUCATION – Sixty percent of all bachelor’s degrees and half of all PhD’s are earned by women (“A Woman’s Nation Changes Everything”). In 1963 the “most generally approved role for women” was homemaking. Over 50 years later, in 2009 half of all families in this great country, where people love their freedom, have come to rely upon the earnings of two parents (Ibid). In 40% of families women are the primary breadwinners (Ibid). I know you won the Miss Wasilla beauty pageant, and obviously education was not important for you. Maybe it also was not important for Todd. However, for most women education is extremely important. Education is the key that unlocks a life of dependence for women. Without education a woman may become dependant upon a man or her family indefinitely, as you have seen with Bristol. If a woman becomes dependant, she and her children may become unable to remove themselves from an abusive relationship with a husband or parents. Even if education has not been important to you, it is to most feminists.
MOTHERING – From the moment you paraded Trig before the Republican Convention holding him as a prop; it seems that you have forgotten that I didn’t want people to focus on the fact that Trig has an extra chromosome (Palin 186). Did you think I gave Trig to you just so you could take advantage of the sympathies of other people? You have dragged Trig to book signing events barefooted and in his pajamas, when you were warm in your coat and hat. I heard the despair in Bristol’s voice when she called you explaining that it was bad enough that Wasilla knew of the pregnancy, but now the “whole world knows” (Palin 234). John warned you it would be hard on your family, but you didn’t seem to care (Palin 220). You have taken Piper out of school multiple times, even to the beach in Hawaii, when school was in session. The worst thing was your flagrant disregard for the health and well being of Trig. When you knew you were in labor with your fifth child, your water had broken over 12 hours before, and the flight back to Alaska would be at least 10 hours, how could you board(not a board made of wood) a plane in Texas, taking the chance that Trig would be born during the flight. Even if the flight attendants and the people in the airport lounge didn’t know you were in labor, I knew.
Studies have shown that even though women are professionals and are as educated as our male counterparts, (meaning men in the same roles) women are more willing to “downgrade” their careers to enable them to spend more time with their kids (“A Woman’s Nation Changes Everything”). Many women define success as living a balanced life, not necessarily making the most money (Ibid). Sarah, honey, it would be o.k. if you didn’t want to have children, and devote yourself to making money. It would be o.k. to be a stay at home mom and have five children, and devote yourself to the kids. It is NOT part of my plan for you to have five children, one of whom has special needs and to utterly fail to meet the needs of any of your children.
Trig’s Creator, You Heavenly Father (Palin 187)
I think I will send this letter to Newsmax by overnight delivery. It will be cheaper and more expeditious than having a sex-change operation.
The hypocrisy of Sarah Palin has never been as obvious as her stance regarding abortion and pre-marital sex. Palin was pregnant when she married, (Benet, “Trailblazer”). In “Going Rogue”, Sarah Palin has admitted that when she learned that she was pregnant with Trig, she considered her choice. Palin’s oldest daughter Bristol had a child out of wedlock. Even though abstinence clearly has not worked for the Palin women, despite Bristol becoming a “born again virgin” that has not stopped Sarah from extolling its virtues, as evidenced by her upcoming fundraiser for the Uptown Women’s Center, which is to be a satellite location for the Downtown Pregnancy Center.
The Downtown Pregnancy Center claims to provide, “real answers for life’s questions” by “empowering women through knowledge” the center actually imparts misinformation, distorts facts, and is blatantly untruthful regarding information relating to abortion.
Today I have obtained the “DPC Doctrinal Statement” which is the form all volunteers must fill out before being approved as a volunteer at the Downtown Pregnancy Center. Consistent with Palin’s purported moral beliefs, and to my horror, this form provides in part:
SANCITY OF LIFE
- The Bible clearly teaches the humanity, value and divine creation of the preborn child. (What about the value of all the children who are born to mothers that can’t provide for their children, to provide food, shelter, or health care? Are the Republicans who oppose abortion doing their part to support all those children who are born to teenage mothers, and don’t have health care? )
- The woman in crisis is a person for whom Jesus Christ died.(Does this mean that if I didn’t have a pregnancy before marriage that Jesus didn’t die for me too?)
- The person in crisis is personally accountable to God for her responses and choices.(Would this also require the father of the baby to be equally accountable to God for his choices?)
- Professing Christians have a divine mandate to protect preborn life, to promote the sanctity of life, and to promote moral purity. (For some, this will take the form of prayer, for others counseling, or picketing, etc.) (What about the millions of children who are born to teenage mothers, who never know their fathers, whose mothers can’t afford to raise them, and who never appreciate the importance of an education, because they must work as soon as possible to put food on the table? Is anyone doing anything to protect them? I didn’t realize that all those people picketing at the Planned Parenthood annual luncheon were acting because of a “divine mandate.”)
- It is sin to be silent and inactive as preborn life is ended, and as women continue to be deceived and used as pawns by a money-making abortion industry.(What about the sin of making money off of Right to Life organizations who pay Sarah Palin to deceive their followers?)
- God intended for sexual intimacy to occur within the boundaries of a marriage relationship. Therefore as Christians we are held to a standard of sexual purity and abstinence until marriage.(If this is the case why are women the only ones to fall from grace when a pregnancy occurs? Why don’t evangelicals perform a DNA test on all babies born to ensure the accountability of the fathers? Can a woman regain her “sexual purity” by simply declaring herself to be a “Born-Again-Virgin?”)
The Volunteer Application for this Center also asks the potential volunteer questions which include:
How do you know you are a Christian?
Have you ever received training to share your faith in Jesus Christ?…If no, are you willing to be trained in personal evangelism? http://getinvolvedforlife.org/volunteerapplication.htm
If Palin feels it is her role to provide religious guidance to those who believe as she does, or to those who aspire to be as pure as Palin, they are free to make that mistake. If Palin wants to train others in evangelism, she is free to do so, but it should occur in the context of a religious organization, not a political one. When a politician suggests that she is the representative of all the people of the United States, or even the representative of the citizens of Alaska, and attempts to impose her religious beliefs on the electorate, I take offense.
It has been 37 years since the Supreme Court decision in Roe vs. Wade, where the United States Supreme Court recognized the Constitutional right of a woman to decide about the desirability of a pregnancy in the first trimester. I expect all of our elected politicians to follow the law. In the absence of a change in our laws, Palin has the right to express her religious views in the church of her choosing, but she does not have the right to impose her will upon the rest of the citizens of this country, if her ideas are contrary to the law. Someone please tell Sarah Palin that it was God’s plan that McCain would lose the election of 2008, that she would resign her position as a politician, and that the American public would see her for the hypocrite that she is.
Sarah Palin has established herself as uninterested in school work, and evidently that same character trait translates into being uninterested in doing research on fundraisers she is agreeable to doing. As long as the “charity” is willing to pay her fee, it seems it doesn’t matter how honest or truthful they are. If they can pay her fee, Palin will evidently appear. Palin is scheduled to speak at fundraiser in Dallas on April 26th. Even though the fundraiser is advertised on a web site called Palin4Life, proceeds (I am sure AFTER Palin’s fees and expenses) from the event are purportedly going to be donated to establish the Uptown Women’s Center, which is to be a satellite location for the Downtown Pregnancy Center. Do not be fooled by these innocuous sounding names. These are not medical clinics; in fact, there is not a single doctor listed as part of the staff at the Downtown Pregnancy Center. Despite Downtown Pregnancy Center’s claim of providing, “real answers for life’s questions” by “empowering women through knowledge” the center actually imparts misinformation, distorts facts, and is blatantly untruthful regarding information it provides relating to abortion, the types available, the abortion procedures, and possible risks associated with an abortion. The Downtown Pregnancy Center will not even provide its patients with the names of any clinics that perform abortions, even if a patient asks for this information.
On the website for the center, www.downtownpc.org, the medication Plan B, also known as the morning after pill, is listed as a “chemical abortion”. This is patently false. Plan B is an emergency contraceptive that prevents implantation, but will not terminate an existing pregnancy. As explicitly stated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), “Plan B is emergency contraception, a backup method to birth control… Plan B works like other birth control pills to prevent implantation. If a fertilized egg is implanted prior to taking Plan B, Plan B will not work”. (http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/postmarketdrugsafetyinformationforpatientsandproviders/ucm109795.htm) To refer to Plan B as a “chemical abortion” is deceitful and dishonest.
The Downtown Pregnancy Center claims that women who obtain abortions face an increased risk of drug and alcohol abuse, suicide and breast cancer. These are yet more distortions and lies. Harvard and Oxford University studies have found that abortions do not increase a woman’s chance for developing breast cancer. (http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/167/8/814, http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/breast-cancer/news-and-features.html?page=7)
The American Cancer Society and the U.S. National Cancer Institute affirm the results of the studies. (http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_6x_Can_Having_an_Abortion_Cause_or_Contribute_to_Breast_Cancer.asp) The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has noted that the suicide rate among women has decreased since the passage of Roe v. Wade and a 2008 study by the American Psychological Association found that abortion poses no threat to a woman’s mental health. (http://www.apa.org/pi/women/programs/abortion/mental-health.pdf)
It is clear the Downtown Pregnancy Center shares Palin’s penchant for falsehoods and fabrications and like Palin, this center is not focused on helping women. This center’s aim is to proselytize and coerce often scared and confused women into going through with unwanted pregnancies irrespective of the circumstances surrounding the pregnancies (rape, incest) and the financial implications for the women.
Because Palin has celebrity status, thousands of women look to her for information and as a role model. It is criminal that Palin uses her celebrity status to impact the lives of so many young women with false and misleading information. It is even worse that Palin justifies all she does by suggesting that it was God’s plan. I am not familiar with any religion that intentionally tells its followers lies, and then expects its people to act based upon those lies.
Martin Luther King Jr. said, “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”. Sarah Palin might be the very type of person about whom Dr. King warned us. Maybe the candidates endorsed by Palin share similar character traits.
Sarah Palin has been seen traveling around the country in a private plane for the purpose of endorsing political candidates for various offices. Some of us would find it embarrassing to be endorsed by Palin given the many embarrassing things Palin has said, and the fact that she is no longer a politician (she quit…even though she is not a quitter, and she still insists upon being called “Governor”). One logical question might be: Does her travel by private plane indicate that her income has risen sufficiently beyond that of the Governor of Alaska (remember her comment about selling the Governor’s plane on e-Bay at the Republican Convention) to justify such an extravagant expense? Even though she appeared at book signing events in a bus, we realized later that she was flying in a private plane and being met at the airport by the bus. At least the bus gave her the appearance that she was a common person. Certainly we can agree that she is no longer a common person, and has become part of the “elite” which she has been so quick to denounce. So what good is she doing with this new-found celebrity status? Who merits the endorsement of Sarah Palin?
My favorite endorsement by Sarah Palin is that of the “bizarre and outlandish” Michele Bachmann, Representative from Minnesota.
Palin’s wisdom and intellect in her choice of candidates is best illustrated by quotes of Bachmann:
“There isn’t even one study that can be produced that shows that carbon dioxide is a harmful gas”.
“We have a gangster government”.
“Not all cultures are equal. Not all values are equal”.
“If you are involved in gay and lesbian lifestyle, it’s bondage.”
“Because it is important that we put men and women of God into
office in our government, amen. And I don’t want any more letters
about church and politics don’t mix. If that’s your opinion, then
you need to get saved…”
Maybe Palin and Bachmann share a common view of religion, and maybe Palin could give Bachmann some pointers about how to identify witches. I bet they agree on the importance of God in politics. Maybe Palin and Bachman also share a common view of civil rights. Certainly Palin has herself been identified as having “bizarre and outlandish” behavior and comments (i.e. writing on her hand, waving to Russia, suggesting that she has seen human footprints inside a dinosaur’s footprint, and even reference to “two Sarah’s …one that is perky and one that is morose and non-responsive”).
Because Sarah’s website doesn’t list candidates she endorses, or policies that are important to her, we might question what the common thread is for each of the politicians that she endorses. Palin has endorsed Rick Perry, Governor of Texas. Like Todd Palin, Perry advocates secession from the United States. Like Sarah Palin, Perry doesn’t seem to put a premium on education, so maybe ignorance is something they share. Governor Perry has turned away millions of dollars in federal aid for education in Texas. It appears that he, like Sarah, doesn’t mind that Texas and Alaska are two of the lowest performing states in the educational achievements of our kids.
A closer review of all the candidates endorsed by Palin reveals one common thread. Each candidate Palin endorses suggests that women should not have reproductive freedom. These people can’t accurately be called right to lifers as the fact of abortion has been known to save lives. The health of some women may be compromised by a pregnancy, and thus an abortion may actually save the life of the mother. In the case of my brother’s son, an unhealthy twin pregnancy necessitated termination of one twin in order to save the life of the healthy twin. I now have a nephew who would not be alive today if not for the termination procedure of what my brother called the angel baby. For my nephew, his right to life was dependent upon the termination of his twin. My brother and his wife chose life, and terminated a fetus that would not have lived outside the womb.
Sarah Palin and those candidates she endorses condemn all people who choose to terminate a pregnancy for any reason. Sarah seems to feel it is HER job to dictate what other people do, even if the United States Supreme Court has recognized that it is a fundamental civil right of every woman to decide for herself whether to terminate a pregnancy in the first trimester. Contrary to the wisdom of the United States Supreme Court, Palin seems to feel she should be able to impose her beliefs and values on the entire country.
There is one noticeable exception to this philosophy. Palin is also endorsing McCain, and he is pro-choice. Maybe if a person causes a financial windfall for Sarah, values become extinct like the dinosaurs. Another example of the persuasiveness of money to Palin would be the choice of ghostwriters for her book, “Going Rogue”. Of all the people Palin could have chosen to be her ghostwriter, Sarah chose Lynn Vincent, who herself admits she had an abortion.
Most of us would respect McCain and Vincent’s attitude regarding abortion, but it is ironic that the two people who have helped Sarah make the most money have each embraced the right of a woman to make the right choice for herself. Palin appears as the keynote speaker at right to life rallies making hundreds of thousands of dollars for appearances. The only logical conclusion is that Palin is a pro-life proponent when it is financially rewarding to her. If we have not been clear about what motivates Sarah Palin until now, surely it is now crystal clear! Character, values, and virtues (the subject of her next book) seem to take a back seat to financial rewards.