It’ hard to believe that we have two political parties in the United States of America, and that for one of the two that Mitt Romney is the best the Republicans have to offer as their candidate. After the choice of McCain/Palin in 2008 it is amazing that the Republican Party hasn’t learned from it’s mistake. While I am socially liberal, I would prefer to have stronger candidates nominated by the Republican Party, as it only makes our country stronger to have the best possible candidates running for the office of the President of the United States. The potential candidates of the GOP were pathetic. The only one of the group that seemed a reasonable choice was Jon Huntsman, and he dropped out long ago due to lack of support. Think about the alternatives presented after Huntsman dropped out! Thank God they didn’t nominate Michelle Bachmann, the dancing fool,
Newt Gingrich, the serial adulterer and the man in the moon,
Rick Perry, the fool who couldn’t remember three things,
or “Herb” Cain, the ladies man
As the Republicans found Romney more appealing than these embarrassments to the Republican Party, the GOP found other embarrassing candidates in Romney and Ryan.
1. Shortly after Romney’s choice of Ryan as his running mate we learned that Ryan had to authored a bill with Todd Akin regarding “forcible rape..”
2. Akin made the world aware of his perception that if any woman was legitimately raped, as opposed to illegitimate rape, that the woman could “shut that whole thing down.” It was because of those comments that we gained an appreciation of the concept of “forcible rape.”
3. Romney only endorsed one Senator, Mourdock, who said that if a pregnancy resulted from rape, it was God’s will.
4. Romney endorsed Obama’s foreign policy positions on Iraq, even though Romney was originally in favor of war. He congratulated Obama on killing bin Laden even though Romney said it wasn’t worth moving heaven and earth to find one man.
5. Romney has only released two years of tax returns, and the one released for 2011 failed to take advantage of certain deductions that would have resulted in an effective lower tax rate for 2011 than 14%. By waiting to take the deduction after the election he still gets the benefit of the deduction for the tax year 2012, and earns interest on the money paid.
6. Romney has chosen Robert Bork as his adviser on the judiciary. Bork is the single best reason to vote for Obama.
7. Romney has a car elevator for his car in his vacation home.
8. Romney suggests that he is in touch with the economic concerns of women in America because he is married to a woman, even though she has never worked a day outside the home, and has never been responsible for supporting herself, or her children.
9. Richard Grenell was hired as a member of Romney’s campaign staff and later resigned due to pressure from Republicans to resign because he was gay.
10. Mitt Romney so opposes abortion that he tried to guilt the mother of four children into risking her life even though leaders of the Mormon church had already given the approval for the medically necessary abortion to save the life of the mother.
11. Seamus, his dog, was strapped in his dog crate to the top of the family car.
12. Romney has flip-flopped on so many issues that it is hard to count all of them.
13. Romney used such poor judgment that he had Rick Perry campaign for him after Perry called him a “vulture capitalist.”
14. Romney insulted the British over the Olympics.
15. Romney has complained about the high rate of unemployment when he was responsible for shipping jobs overseas.
16. Romney complimented the people of Michigan by praising the height of their trees.
17. Romney advocates repeal of Obamacare, even though he implemented a system in his state which was almost identical to Obamacare.
18. Romney’s approach to economic problems is almost identical to that of George W. Bush, lowering taxes, and reducing regulations. We know from history that those practices resulted in a disastrous economy for the United State.
19. Romney plans to increase military spending, in spite of the fact that the military is not asking for more money, that military spending of the United States is almost as much as the total military spending of the top 10 countries in the world.
20. The only proposed cuts to Medicare or Social Security would not take place under the Romney plan until after Romney would be finished with her term, if elected for two terms.
21. Romney has a passport for his horse/
22. Romney pretends to be a patriot, but uses banks and investments overseas in places like Cayman Islands to avoid paying taxes.
23. Romney purports to be an advocate for women, but has not come out in favor of the Lilly Ledbetter Act, requiring fair pay for women.
It’s hard to imagine that in spite of these undesirable positions, Romney is still dangerously close to winning the election. It is our job to ensure that every voter for Obama has a way to get to their voting locations. As for Romney supporters, try to make them understand this election is not about Republican vs. Democrat. Instead it is about ensuring that we have a viable future for America.