After two books, and three years of writing on this blog, I have learned that any time Sarah Palin speaks I can predict that with a little research, I can show that she is lying, or simply making up things. An example of the lying would be her comments about being vindicated in the Troopergate matter.
My favorite example of her making things up is the Paul Revere story.
Headlines this morning are that Sarah Palin has made a commercial for Sarah Stillman who is running for Senate in Missouri.
This commercial would fall in the category of lies. In the short span of half-of-one-minute, or a mere thirty seconds, Palin tells three lies. If you remove the lies, you are left with the claim that Steelman is an Economist, and she did receive a Masters of Arts Degree in Economics. The lies in the ad are typical for Sarah Palin. Let me count the ways.
1. Palin introduces herself as the Governor of Alaska. She isn’t the Governor. She QUIT. More time has passed since she quit than Palin spent serving as Governor. It would be like me introducing myself as a piano player, because I was at one time in my life a piano player, for a couple of years, but I quit.
2. Palin says Steelman will “defend our tax dollars.” The truth is that during her tenure as a State Senator, Steelman voted to put Missouri Billions of Dollars in Debt. Steelman voted in favor of construction bonds that put the state $2.25 BILLION DOLLARS IN DEBT. (Missouri Senate Journal, HB 1742, April 27, 2000 and May 9, 2000, Steelman vote Yes)
In Feb. of 2003, Steelman voted in favor of issuing revenue bonds to cover a $397 million dollar budget gap, instead of “defending tax dollars” and balancing the budget. Missouri Senate Journal, HB 401, February, 19, 2003, Steelman vote Yes / HB 14, March 6, 2003, Steelman vote Yes
3. Palin says that Steelman had blocked Pork Barrel Spending. The truth is the opposite. As a State Senator, Steelman voted for millions on line-item pork-barrel spending. Those projects included:
• $39,857 for improvements to State House offices,
• $50,000 for a ‘teleconferencing facility,
• $90,000 for dairy grazing research,
• millions for building projects in Steelman’s district,
• $150,000 for a Lewis & Clark monument,
• $2 million for a convention center,
• millions for tax increment financing projects,
• more than $150,000 for Amtrak stations,
• $5.1 million to relocate state employees into a new office building,
• $4.6 million for the State Capitol Complex and office buildings (Missouri Senate Journals, 3/22/99, HB 14-17,5/7/99 HB 18-19 / 5/3/00, HB 1121, 5/5/00, HB 1120 / 5/10/01, HB 16, 18, 19, 5/7/01, HB 17 / 5/9/02, HB 1121 /5/7/03 HB 16-19)
In truth, Steelman touted her efforts to “bring home the bacon.” She even sponsored the costly super TIF legislation. She approved $1.3 million in tax credits for neighborhood improvement in her district. She vowed to continue efforts to win more tax credits for her district. She secured a $233,267.00 state grant to replace a bridge in her district.
It appears that Palin simply lies, or doesn’t know what pork barrel spending is.
The Bridge to Nowhere
Other Earmarks-Mating habits of crabs and dna of harbor seals
Either way, her commercial for Sarah Steelman is misleading, dishonest, and a lie.