The freezer in Wasilla must be out of moose meat. While in Texas this weekend Sarah and pimp-husband Todd made an appearance and speech to support Ted Cruz for Senate.
Instead of eating their common-sense caribou jerky, or moose stew from their Tupperware dishes, the Palins made a point of stopping for Chick-Filet on their way to the airport. Sarah wasn’t in labor with their 6th child, so they were not in such a hurry to get to the airport.
It’s not clear if they ordered the fried variety of chicken or the waffle fries, but it is clear that their appearance was designed to make a point. The Palins were making a political statement that they too oppose gay marriage. The amazing thing is that they made this a more prominent issue on their visit to Texas than their endorsement of Ted Cruz. Even more amazingly is the fact that Sarah and Todd Palin feel it is appropriate for them to comment about the importance of marriage between anyone, when Todd has worked as a pimp. Sarah Palin seems to revel in the attention from the media, and posted this picture on her Twitter account.
Sarah Palin wasn’t actually in the mood for chicken. She was in the mood for attracting attention to herself. Remember when Sarah Palin had nothing to do with the prostitution scandal in Colombia, she interjected herself by making this picture famous.
She appeared on Fox to bring attention to herself and Chaney and flaunted the fact that Mr. Chaney had been fired, or forced to resign, from the Secret Service.
Now there is controversy surrounding the position taken by Dan Cathy, the owner of Chick-fil-A.
Dan Cathy underestimated in impact of his comments regarding GLBT rights. Of course a chicken sandwich has nothing to do with gay rights groups. Yet, millions of dollars have been donated through the charitable arm of Chick-fil-A to opponents of same-sex marriage. Moreover Mr. Cathy has become an outspoken opponent of same-sex marriage.
1. On July 16, of this year, Mr. Cathy gave an interview to Biblical Recorder newspaper which was re-posted in the Baptist Press. Mr. Cathy said: “ guilty as charged” when asked if his company supported the idea that marriage should be between ONLY a man and a woman. He went on to say that “we are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that.”
2. On July 18, 2012 the controversy spead on social media networks. The Office star Ed Helms announced on Twitter he’s boycotting the company over the stance. Helms’ tweet: “Chick-fil-A doesn’t like gay people? So lame. Hate to think what they do to the gay chickens! Lost a loyal fan.”
3. The next day, on July 19, 2012, on its Facebook page the company said it would stay away from further discussion of the gay marriage debate. “Going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena.” The Company spokesmen sent the same statement to NPR when it requested an interview.
4. The following day, on July 20, 2012, The Jim Henson Co., which controls the popular Muppets characters, announced on its Facebook page that it was cutting off its collaboration with Chick-fil-A in response to Cathy’s comments. The Jim Henson Creature Puppets that were to have been distributed in Chick-fil-A kids’ meals through August but have now been pulled due to “product safety” reasons.
5. Three days later, on July 23, 2012, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee calls on Christian customers to show support for the company and stick up for Cathy’s values. “The goal is simple,” he announced, calling on Americans to help those who honor “the godly values we espouse by simply showing up and eating at Chick-fil-A on Wednesday, Aug. 1.” As of 11:30 a.m. Friday, Huckabee’s Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day already had more than 279,000 RSVPs.
Meanwhile, gay and lesbian groups have called for same-sex couples to kiss at Chick-fil-A stores on”National Same Sex Kiss Day” Aug. 3.
6. Five days later Sarah Palin took advantage of the publicity surrounding the controversy. She didn’t just do a Facebook post, or tweet about it, but instead made a point of drawing attention to the controversy when appearing for Ted Cruz in Houston. She said before the crowd:
“Jason, you’re going to have to take me on our way back to the airport later. We drive by a Chick Fil-A. We don’t have that in Alaska,” she said, gesturing to an aide while cheers erupted in the crowd. “Love me some Chick Fil-A. So we’ll go there, Jason, on the way, OK?”
In the tradition of “Paul Revere”, our “North Korean allies”, and the “Blood Libel” comments made, Sarah Palin demonstrated, once again, just how clueless she is. The point of her visit to Texas was to help Ted Cruz defeat his opponent in the Senate runoff David Dewhurst. Dewhurst is very public in his opposition to gay marriage. Conversly, the single largest donor for Cruz is gay billionaire, Peter Thiel, In addition to direct donations to Cruz, Thiel has donated $1 Million dollars to the Club for Growth, a super PAC that supports Cruz. Once again Sarah Palin has made something about someone else, all about her.
Marketing firm Witeck-Combs estimated the LGBT market’s buying power at $800 billion last year. Perhaps that is why Chick-fil-A declined requests for an interview, but in a statement said, “Going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate to the political arena.”
I bet Chick-fil-A wishes Sarah and Todd Palin would quickly return to Alaska, where are no Chick-fil-A restaurants.